Saturday, August 8, 2015

Singapore's 50th Jubilee Bash: My Garden City

My little country celebrates her 50th birthday on 9 August!
It's been a year of "everything-also-SG50",
from retailers offering SG50 discounts to SG50 food offerings to SG50 performances,
and so on.
And it finally culminates in our long 4-day Jubilee weekend.
 
There's a lot of activities going on around this little red-dot,
and everyone's getting into the celebratory spirit.
Probably the only thing that's marring the celebrations right now
is the constant thundery downpours we've been having all week!
 
The past week, I had my nails done in my country's colours too.
Unfortunately, I couldn't get pictures of all of them given the lousy weather,
which is a pity since I really wanted to share about the inspiration I had behind some of them.
I guess I'll just have to settle with the 2 manicures that I did get pics of,
so let's get on with the first one today!

Singapore is also known as the Garden City.
This Garden City vision was introduced by our founding father,
then Prime Minister Mr Lee Kuan Yew shortly after we attained independence.
The presence of lush greenery and a clean environment was to make life more pleasant for its people,
and would also signify a well-organised city.
 
50 years on,
Singapore is now a cityscape with abundant, lush greenery everywhere.
We have trees and shrubs lining our roads,
and parks in almost every housing estate.
No matter where you turn,
you cannot escape from the green stuff that's everywhere.
Singapore is a concrete jungle that's been softened with green.
 
Just ask any visitor/tourist who's been to Singapore,
and I'm sure this would be one thing they would remember:
the garden city.
 
This Jubilee year,
Singapore can also now boast of having our very first UNESCO World Heritage Site:
our very own Singapore Botanic Gardens.
The Singapore Botanic Gardens is the only tropical botanic garden on the UNESCO’s World Heritage List.
It is the also the first in Asia and the third botanic gardens to be inscribed.
A milestone achievement in actualizing the "Garden City" vision by our founding father.
 
Given all this,
I'm sure you can understand why I had this as an inspiration,
and I had this simple red and white flowering manicure in mind.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Taken on the 3rd day of wearing this manicure.
 
Items used:
OPI Cajun Shrimp,
OPI My Boyfriend Scales Walls,
and flower vinyls in red and white by Vibrant Vinyls
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

©2009 happyberrynaiad | by TNB