Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Review of the Month: SpaRitual Handprint Hydrating Hand Salve & Serum

Since I returned to my pole dancing,
my hands have been suffering quite a bit from the use of grip powder.
I started having dry, peeling skin and calluses.

Since I really enjoy dancing,
the only option then was for me to find a good hand cream that would help with moisturizing and repair.
Hence the start of my testing of hand creams.

And since I'm on the search for my hand cream holy grail,
I figured I might as well share my findings and reviews with you guys.


Kick-starting this series then,
is the sample tubes of SpaRitual Handprint Hydrating Hand Salve and Hand Serum.


Posed them next to my OPI mini bottle of Designer... de Better to show you the size of the samples I was given.
Kinda small;
it was about 0.25 oz or 7.4 ml.
But it gave me about 3 weeks of regular use.
Ain't too bad.

Let's start with the Hydrating Hand Salve:

SpaRitual Handprint Hydrating Hand Salve is made with 76% certified organic ingredients including,
Shea Butter, Aloe Ferox, Marula Oil, Griffonia Seed Extract, and Honeybush.
It is also formulated with SpaRitual’s HydroShield Technology,
which is supposed to to deliver moisture,
promote skin regeneration,
and provide a breathable shield of protection to dry, active hands.

Sounds good?
Unfortunately, I don't think the Hand Salve is for me.

The salve had a smooth creamy texture which applied and was absorbed easily.
There was also a citrus scent to the salve.
I couldn't quite place the scent,
but it's actually quite pleasant.
And this is for someone who is sensitive and easily irritated by scents.
Yeah. Sad.
Scents can actually trigger a major headache in me,
so I'm really careful about those.

What I didn't like was the feeling that there was a layer of residue.
Ok, I get that it's probably the breathable shield of protection that was touted by the brand,
but it makes me feel like my hands aren't clean.
I think I washed my hands a little more rigourously thereafter,
which kinda defeats the purpose.

Also, I don't think I see any major difference the salve had to offer.
At least I didn't see and/or feel any significant improvement to my hands after I finished the sample tube.

On the other hand,
I might actually consider getting the hand serum.

SpaRitual Hydrating Hand Serum is made with 72% certified organic ingredients:
- Swiss apple stem cells slows chronological aging, preserving the youthful look and vitality of the skin.
- Organic pumpkin seed extract builds collagen and promotes elasticity.
- Organic ginger root extract softens and smoothes skin’s texture.
- Organic licorice root extract helps treat discoloration.

The serum was a lot runnier in texture,
and much more easily absorbed into the skin as compared the the hand salve.
I started using the serum about a week after I started with the hand salve
so as to see if there was any difference to adding a hand serum into the routine.
It sure did!

About a week after I started using the hand serum,
I noticed that my hands did seem to look "whiter and cleaner"
(if this makes sense to you readers).
I guess this is the idea of slowing aging and restoring youthfulness.

I stopped using again just to make sure that it was really the effect of the hand serum.
Yep. Again, it took about a week to see slight differences.

If there are any smells that soothe me,
it is the scent of lavendar, tea leaves and ginger.
I remember at the bloggers' event that I was invited to,
the hand serum smelt quite strongly of ginger.

Perhaps my bottle was too small,
or perhaps the scent of the hand salve over-powered the ginger scent of the hand serum.
However, I couldn't get much of the ginger scent with my sampler bottle.
Which was a disappointment to me.
I tried to smell directly from the sampler tube.
Nahdah as well.

But what is really daunting me to get a full-sized bottle of the hand serum?
The price of it.
Let's just say,
for the time being,
I'm still going to see if there is a cheaper alternative.

Anyone has any recs for hand creams?

2 comments:

hydraMIRAGE said...

l'occitane has awesome hand creams. They absorb quickly and are nongreasy with no residue left behind. There is a whole bunch of holiday sets available now.

Berry T said...

LoL! I just bought the lavender one to try! And I'm considering some of the holiday ones too!

Post a Comment

 

©2009 happyberrynaiad | by TNB