Saturday, October 3, 2009

7 Choices Tag

I've been tagged by missnono for this!
Game rules are simple:
Tagger chooses a colour & taggee has to find pictures of 7 owned items in that colour
Missnono came up with the colour red =)

My parents got this Chinese Paper Cutting from a Chinese New Year fair a couple of years ago.
I love the intricate workmanship and the implications of this particular art work.
Chinese art is often full of symbolism, and in this case, its a piece of works that is supposed to bring blessings for the family through the years.

The Chinese character right in the centre is pronounced as "Fu" and it generally means "blessed"
(all italised and in quotation marks are the Mandarin pronounciations)
The animals surrounding the Chinese character are the 12 Chinese zodiacs.
The Chinese zodiac version has each year named after an animal in a 12-year cycle starting off with the Rat, Ox, Tiger, Rabbit, Dragon, Snake, Horse, Sheep, Monkey, Chicken, Dog, Pig.
Each animal character is said to have their own strengths and weaknesses.
2009 is the Year of the Ox.
You probably could do some calculations and find out which Chinese zodiac you belong to =)

Next up is a box of mooncakes.
It so happens that today, we're celebrating "Zhong Qiu Jie". There are several English translated versions, the Mid-Autumn Festival, the Mooncake Festival or the Harvest Festival.
The Mid-Autumn Festival is celebrated on the 15th moon day of the 8th Chinese lunar month.
There are many stories and legends that surround the Mid-Autumn Festival, the most famous of which are the stories of "Chang-Er ", the Moon Fairy as well as the origins of the moon cake.

According to Chinese folk lore, there was a Han Chinese rebel leader who devised a scheme to overthrow the oppressive Mongol leaders to end the oppressive Yuan dynasty.
Under the guise of giving gifts to honour the longevity of the Mongolian emperor, this rebel leaber distributed moon cakes to the people.
Inside the round mooncakes, the leader had placed pieces of paper with the date that the Han Chinese were to strike out in rebellion - the 15th day of the 8th lunar month.

The legend of the Moon Fairy is slightly more complicated and starts with the great archer called "Hou Yi " who fell in love with a beautiful lady named "Chang-Er". However, the lovebirds were not allowed to be together.
One day, the earth became scorchingly hot as the 10 Sun Gods decided to all come out together. Humankind fell into terrible hardship until Hou Yi managed to shoot down 9 of the 10 suns.
As a reward, Hou Yi was given the Elixir of Eternal Life. If he and Chang-Er drank it together, both of them would be able to live happily ever after forever.
Twist to the plot, the tyrannical emperor wanted the elixir all for himself.
So in a last-ditch attempt to save the people, Chang-Er grabbed the elixir and drank it all. That's when Chang-Er floated to the moon to begin her life as an immortal with the company of a Jade Rabbit.

On this day, the young would present their elders with mooncakes as a mark of respect. Families get together to enjoy the mooncakes and to appreciate the full moon. Young children are often seen playing with lanterns.
Later tonight, my family's going to sit down together to enjoy some soccer action, mooncakes and superior Chinese tea =)

3rd item here is a library book that I just finished reading, 3rd degree by James Patterson.
I love detective thrillers, and the more gruesome the murder, the better.
My mum hates it sometimes when I get started on books cos I'll get so engrossed in the story plots that I become oblivious to what's happening around me.

Next is my favourite pair of shorts that I wear to pole dance class.
Its actually a pair of swim shorts and I'm always on the lookout for more of such swim shorts.

And I'll definitely get in a pic of a nail polish!
This one here is OPI Vodka and Caviar which is still in my untried stash even though I keep telling myself that I have to get down to using it =P

Then this is a set of saucers which I have absolutely no idea how it ended up with us.
But they are so cute so no one really bothers.
The saucers are depicted with a couple in traditional Chinese wedding costume, and the Chinese character you see is "Xi" which means happiness .

Last item is a red Guess watch that I've been meaning to bring to the shop to get the batteries changed (for the last 3 months).

All right, so I get to tag other bloggers now! Yay!
and I tag the following:

1) my giveaway winner Amused Polish
2) Lisa from Nail Art World
3) Nessa from Contests and Such
4) Thriszha from Fab Ur Nails

and in conjuction with the Breat Cancer Awareness Month, the colour for you guys is PINK! =)

4 comments:

Lucy said...

Thanks for the story behind the Mooncakes. I'd heard of them before. Hope you and your family enjoy them. Pole dance class shorts! I meant to ask you about that. Do you do this for a living or for fun? What do the Mooncakes taste like? The saucers are really cute.

thriszha said...

thanks for tagging me..weeeeeeeeeee....i love the color u chose...coz i love pink

Berry T said...

Lucy,

Mooncakes are usually sweet. There are different types actually, but the traditional ones in my blog pic are made with lotus paste. Some add stuff into the mooncakes like salted egg yolk, lotus seeds, nuts etc depending.

As for pole, I do it for fun and exercise! It's the best kind of workout I've ever had. Since pole, I've lost weight, toned up & I've never had abs like this =)

thriszha,
you're welcome! Can't wait to read yours!

contests and such said...

Thanks for the tag! I just did my 7 pinks!
Love the layout!

Post a Comment

 

©2009 happyberrynaiad | by TNB